Permits & Other Info

brans_fall riverWith more than 700 square miles of public lands, Alpine County includes portions of the Humboldt-Toiyabe, Stanislaus and Eldorado National Forests, and the Mokelumne and Carson-Iceberg Wildernesses. Additional lands are managed by the Bureau of Land Management, California State Parks, and the California Department of Fish & Game. This incredible region offers a wide variety of mountain and water based recreation. Hiking, fishing, camping, skiing, rafting, cycling and OHV use are just a few of the many activities available. For more information, contact the agencies below.

Campfire Permits

Campfire permits are required for open fires, charcoal fires and portable stoves. At times of extreme fire danger, fires may be prohibited entirely in some areas of the National Forest or Wilderness. Annual permits, valid throughout California, can be obtained at most ranger stations, or at the Alpine County Visitors Center in Markleeville. You can also download a current campfire permit at 

Fishing Licenses

A California fishing license is required for anyone 16 years of age and older. These are available at a variety of retail locations throughout the County. Streams and rivers are open from the last Saturday in April through November 15, while most lakes and reservoirs are open all year. Refer to a current copy of the California Sport Fishing Regulations for specific restrictions. You can also apply for a fishing on line at:

Road Conditions

State highways and secondary roads in Alpine County may be closed or have chain & snow tire controls at certain times of the year. For current county road information Alpine County Community Development and Public Works Department. For current backcountry Forest Service roads information call (775) 882-2766 Carson Ranger District. In Nevada, call (877) 687-6237.

Sno Park Permits

A SNO-PARK permit are required in the winter months at certain cleared parking areas, including Carson Pass and Lake Alpine. Fees from Sno-Park permits are used for snow removal and facilities and are administered through the California Department of Parks & Recreation. Permits are available through most U.S. Forest Service and State Park offices.  Mad Dog Cafe at Woodfords Station sno park permit outlet.

You can also download the current Sno-Park permit at

Wilderness Permits

Permits for overnight use are required by the U.S. Forest Service for the Mokelumne and Carson-Iceberg Wildernesses. These can be obtained at no cost at the Alpine County Visitors Center in Markleeville or at major trailheads. Permits are not required for day use.

For More Information Contact:

Alpine County Visitors Center
P.O. Box 265 #3 Webster Street
Markleeville, CA 96120
(530) 694-2475

California Department of Fish & Game
1701 Nimbus Rd.
Rancho Cordova, CA
(916) 355-0978

Humboldt-Toiyabe National Forest
Carson Ranger District
1536 S. Carson Street
Carson City, NV 89701
(775) 882-2766

Eldorado National Forest Information Center
3070 Camino Heights Drive
Camino, CA 95709
(530) 644-6048

Humboldt-Toiyabe National Forest
Bridgeport Ranger District
P.O. Box 595
Bridgeport, CA 93517
(619) 932-7070

Eldorado National Forest
Carson Pass Information Center (Summer Only)
Highway 88 at Kit Carson Pass
(209) 258-8606

Bureau of Land Management
Carson City District
5665 Morgan Mill Road
Carson City, NV 89701
(775) 885-6000

Eldorado National Forest
Amador Ranger District
26820 Silver Drive
Pioneer, CA 95666
(209) 295-4251

Stanislaus National Forest
Amador & Calaveras Ranger District
P.O. Box 500 Highway 4
Hathaway Pines, CA 95232
(209) 795-1381

Find a Local Business